Recipe of the Week 11-10Posted on November 10th, 2010 by host
Roast Capon Recipe
- 1 (8 -10 lb) fresh capons
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or 4 tablespoons unsalted margarine, melted
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 2 lbs carrots, cut diagonally into 2-inch chunks
1. 1 Sprinkle the bird liberally with salt, wrap it well and refrigerate until you are ready to roast it.
2. 2 Preheat oven 425ºF.
3. 3 Place the capon, breast side up, in a large (13″x16″x3″) roasting pan and pat the outside dry with paper towels.
4. 4 Sprinkle the cavity generously with salt and pepper.
5. 5 Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tie the wings close to the body of the capon.
6. 6 Brush the capon with half the melted butter or margarine, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
7. 7 Place the onions and carrots in a large bowl.
8. 8 Add the rest of the melted butter or margarine to the carrots and onions in the bowl, plus 1 tablespoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper; toss well.
9. 9 Place the onions and carrots around the capon; use lemon juice on capon and place rosemary sprigs and quarterd lemons around the bird.
10. 10 Place the capon into the oven legs first (the back of the oven tends to be hotter than the front)and roast for 1-1/2, until the juices run clear when you cut between the leg and thigh.
11. 11 Remove the capon from the oven and cover the pan with aluminum foil.(If the vegetables aren’t browned, transfer the capon to a platter and cover with aluminum foil).
12. 12 Return the vegetables to the oven to cook while the meat rests.
13. 13 Allow the capon to rest for 20 minutes, then carve it and serve warm with the vegetables.Recipes | November 10th, 2010