Recipe of the Week 2/23/2011Posted on February 23rd, 2011 by host
Honey Barbecue Chicken Strips
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, cut into strips
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- vegetable oil ( for deep frying)
HONEY BBQ SAUCE
- 1 cup hickory flavored barbecue sauce ( Heinz is good)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- For chicken strips: Mix flour, salt and pepper in a bowl; set aside.
- Place buttermilk in a separate bowl.
- Heat the oil for frying.
- Dip chicken strips in flour, then in buttermilk, and then again in flour.
- Place in hot oil (the temperature should read 375 degrees).
- Never crowd the chicken strips in the oil, fry only a few at a time until lightly golden brown Remove strips from oil; drain on paper towel.
- To make sauce: place all sauce ingredients in a small saucepan, mix thoroughly, and simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes; cool slightly.
- Dip one chicken strip in sauce at a time; place on baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Place the chicken strips on a 350 degree oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes.